Friday, January 16, 2009

Buttermilk Channel vs. Frankie's - Sofo Throwdown!

Who came up with the monicker "SoFo" to describe the South end of Carroll Gardens? I suspect real estate professionals had something to do with it. It may be a contraction meaning South of Fourth Place, but it's really just a polite way of saying "the part of Carroll Gardens people don't want to live in."
Till now, of course. Because SoFo is now home to two - yes, two!! - destination restaurants. Frankie's 457 has been tearing it up since 2004, without serious competition. Now Buttermilk Channel, with it's Danny Meyer-ish vibe, has settled at the corner of Court Street and Huntington, and the early reviews are pretty fab. It's more kid-friendly than Frankie's. In fact, it's more friendly in general, especially during the evening rush (during which you may be stranded at Frankie's bar for 45 minutes...).

Anyone want to weigh in?

1 comment:

  1. I have in fact waited at Buttermilk Channel for at least 30 minutes on a slower night. I headed there on a Saturday and their wait was an hour and a half! I have learned my lesson and have now started calling ahead and telling them I live in the neighborhood. They put my name on the list and tell me what time to head down there. If my table is opening up sooner they call me and tell me to come down earlier.
    I have to recommend the bacon and almond appetizer and the home made pickles. Also the best desert I have had this year is their pecan pie sundae, it blew my mind.
    I am so happy this place is in my life!

    ReplyDelete