Sunday, April 26, 2009

Calpurnia Opens it's doors! Finally! Vincent Price must have helped get these doors open.



I stopped into the newly opened Calpurnia this weekend to check out there swank decor.
I was astonished to find the space of descent size since it was once the very cramped Hole in the Wall Video.
It looks nothing like the old hole but now reflects the trend of many other new joints in the hood like Char No 4 , Clover Club and Frankie's 457 but 1/10th of the size. .
I didn't know that they still upholstered chairs in red velvet and I swear that Vincent Price was the designer behind the space.
They did not have a menu for me and I missed my free glass of wine but the owners were excited that I showed interest in the place.
I hope that it does well cause I feel it's a nice addition to Court street's limited bar/food spots.

2 comments:

  1. I peeked in the door there when they first opened and thought it looked really cool. Would love to see the menu myself...

    (this is LJ, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the decor isn't my taste exactly I'm glad its there and have gone several times. We need something that isn't foux depression era like Clover Club (as a 35 year old Blonde "yuppie" I'm supposed to say the opposite). I appreciate the intimate atmosphere and am glad to have a place to take a date that isn't "on the map." Likewise other Itallian owned business by locals like D'Amico Coffee, Red Rose and Mama Marias. All excellent establishments with great service.

    ReplyDelete